Friday, July 8, 2011

What I find Important: The Hapa Project

Most people today have heard of the Hapa Project and what it has done for multicultural/racial people all around the world. The Hapa Project is a multiracial identity art project created by American artist Kip Fulbeck. The project embodies a range of mediums, including a published book, traveling photographic exhibition, satellite community presentations, and online communities.

Hapa Exhibit

here's one from flickr that I found pretty amazing.

It's really important to me because as an African American, specifically lighter skinned, if you will, I get asked questions all the time like...

"Are you mixed?"
"What are you?"
and my favorite
"I've never seen a black person with freckles. You really sunburn?"

It's pretty amazing what these preconceived notions can do to someone. For the longest time I kept asking my mum what I am, and she would tell me but I never felt fully satisfied. I saw all my cousins who were asian and german and scottish, but I was just black. With two black parents, but I never realized they were so much more. This is what I am.

My mother Is African American, British West Indian, and Merrimac Indian.
My father is African American and Irish.
and as for me...
I'm Kendall and I'm finally okay with being just that.

click here for the pictures
click here for the wiki about the Hapa Project
click here for Kip Fullbeck's Hapa Project page

No comments:

Post a Comment